Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Santa Rosa Forum

SantaRosaForum.com

Apr 21st, 2014, 1:08am
Santa Rosa Forum
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thank You Mt. Carmel Moore Creek Utilities (Read 1336 times)
Brianh64
Epoch Member

57937 to 269 in 04

Thank You Mt. Carmel Moore Creek Utilities
Nov 29th, 2011, 7:52pm

I wanted to take a few minutes and thank my wonderful water company.  Currently they are busy redoing the water mains in my area, sounds wonderful doesn't it?  For years the nearest fire hydrant to my home was nearly 5000 feet away so we had hope with the new mains would mean more hydrants and better rates on our insurance.  I decided to call and find out if indeed we would be getting some hydrants on our street  but was informed that hydrants required a 6 inch main.  Not being the brightest bulb in the pack I had assumed that if a company that gets a good amount for their fecal contaminated water (we have several notices from them through the years where this count was high) would go ahead and upgrade to bigger lines but that is not the case.  So for now, we'll have to be content with having a fire hydrant nearly 1 mile away and hope and pray that there isn't a major fire nearby or all of our homes will be doomed.  Thank you once again for a job not so well done.

The Three Stooges starring, "Larry" Bob Cole, "Curley" Gordon Goodin & "Mo" Don Salter
  IP Logged
richard c
Epoch Member

Civil discourse aids
Democracy

Re: Thank You Mt. Carmel Moore Creek Utilities
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2011, 5:03am

The brain surgeons, according to the state of Florida,  
currently in charge of Moore Creek are outed by name below,   in charge of replacing the water line along with little to no consideration for the  
safety of their customers - from what I have heard during the Santa Rosa ESAC meetings,  it does not take a major cost increase to upgrade from a 4" water line to a 6".  

This alleged upgrade should  have also received attention from Santa Rosa County government, but apparently not.  

Florida Non Profit Corporation
MOORE CREEK-MT. CARMEL UTILITIES, INC.
Filing Information
Document Number      720516
FEI/EIN Number      591494152
Date Filed      03/17/1971
State      FL
Status      ACTIVE

Principal Address
3728 NOWLING RD
JAY FL 32565  
Changed 04/23/2004
Mailing Address
PO BOX 626
JAY FL 32565  
Changed 04/25/2003
Registered Agent Name & Address
PRESCOTT, REBECCA A
4538 WATERMILL ROAD
JAY FL 32565 US
Name Changed: 04/21/2010
Address Changed: 04/21/2010
Officer/Director Detail

Name & Address
Title DP
DIAMOND, EDGAR W
12766 CHUMUCKLA HWY
JAY FL 32565  

Title DVP
JERNIGAN, ERNEST J
6486 OLD POLLARD ROAD
JAY FL 32565  

Title ST
PRESCOTT, REBECCA A
4538 WATERMILL ROAD
JAY FL 32565  

Title D
LOWRY, FRANK
2118 LEE MORRIS ROAD
JAY FL 32565  

Title D
DYKES, OLLIE B
1791 DYKES ROAD
JAY FL 32565  

Title D
NASH, JAMES W
12675 SCENIC LAKE ROAD
JAY FL 32565  

IP Logged
Brianh64
Epoch Member

57937 to 269 in 04

Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2011, 7:37am

Thanks for that info Richard.  When I get some time I'm going to see the nearest distance the above listed have a hydrant.  From what I can recall from the map Moore Creek does not have very many hydrants in their area but I might be mistaken.

The Three Stooges starring, "Larry" Bob Cole, "Curley" Gordon Goodin & "Mo" Don Salter
  IP Logged
Brianh64
Epoch Member

57937 to 269 in 04

Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2011, 8:05pm

So far it would appear that none of the ones in charge of this company got hydrants located near their homes.  I am now starting to understand why I see houses take awhile to sell up here.  Right now I am having a bear of a time obtaining homeowners insurance due to the fact that a lot of companies shy away from being so far away from a hydrant.

IP Logged
Brianh64
Epoch Member

57937 to 269 in 04

Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2011, 6:04am

Fired off an email to our BOCC to see what insight they might have and will post the results.  Just as an FYI to anybody out there, this utility has made it next to impossible for me to get insurance.  Distance from the nearest hydrant is the chief concern that I hear and we HAD to go with Citizens.  Thank you again for the wonderful "upgrade" in service.

IP Logged
Brianh64
Epoch Member

57937 to 269 in 04

Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2012, 4:31am

It's been over a month since I emailed our fine elected officials.  I did an email from Cole and Lynchard saying they would look into it.  That's all I've gotten so far.

IP Logged
Brianh64
Epoch Member

57937 to 269 in 04

Reply #6 - Jan 12th, 2012, 6:19pm

Just got information from Lane Lynchard supplied to him by Moore Creek Mount Carmel water systems:

Pursuant to your request, our consultant performing professional services for the Moore Creek Mount Carmel Utilities, Inc. (MCMC), expansion project has aided us in your question of a few weeks back.  The question in general was about the placement of fire hydrants in the system.

Please see the attached “whitepaper” from the Florida Rural Water Association (FRWA).  In it, the FRWA states that fire protection is “optional” and that the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) does not “mandate systems to provide fire protection”.  As such, the MCMC system does have fire hydrants at various locations but our function is to provide our 1100 customers with potable water, not to provide fire protection.  To do so with the system we have, would require great expense to upgrade all components of the system to be in accordance with the requirements of the Florida Administrative Code (FAC), American Water Works Association (AWWA) and FDEP.  MCMC is in compliance with the whitepaper guidelines with respect to the hydrants we have.  The Board of County Commissioners requested some time back that the system fire hydrants be color coded according to pressure.  This request was executed by MCMC and the color coding of hydrants is maintained.

Our professional services consultant has designed the system upgrade currently under construction in accordance with guidelines in effect and there are some 4” lines to be installed and some 6” lines to be installed; each according to “flow demands and pressure requirements” as per the Recommended Standards for Water Works (see portion of RSWW CH8, attached).   This leads back to the fact that our obligation is to provide our customers with potable water not fire protection.

I trust the information herein and attached is responsive to your request for information.  If you should have further questions or would like to discuss the matter further, please do not hesitate to contact me, any other members of our Board or our Manager, Becky Prescott.

Sincerely,

Jake Gibbs, PE  
MCMC Board Member

I basically read this as to thingy with public safety but I could be wrong.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print